It is time for med?

I have been positive for one year as of today...My cd4 is 267 and virual load is 77,000...I have had lab work done every 3 months and my cd4 has been on a decline the past two test, last time it was 334, virual load has been between 60,000-80,000 all year long... My provider has recommended that I start Atripla...Part of me wants to start the meds so my numbers will improve, but part of me wants to have some more lab work done in a few weeks to see if my numbers have improved...Any advise would be great?

Thanks for your post.

In my opinion (and the opinion of US guidelines), you meet criteria for starting on HIV medications.

It's ok to wait for confirmatory labs, but even if the numbers increase modestly, but remain less than 350, I'd recommend starting.

Make sure that your doctor has screened you for HIV drug resistance and for risks of kidney disease-- the principle reasons why Atripla-based treatments can run into difficulty.

After that, then it's time to discuss how to be as adherent to your treatments as possible and plans for monitoring your progress.

Best of luck, BY

Can you help me?
I did not consult my doctor