Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

It is time for med?
Nov 17, 2007

I have been positive for one year as of today...My cd4 is 267 and virual load is 77,000...I have had lab work done every 3 months and my cd4 has been on a decline the past two test, last time it was 334, virual load has been between 60,000-80,000 all year long... My provider has recommended that I start Atripla...Part of me wants to start the meds so my numbers will improve, but part of me wants to have some more lab work done in a few weeks to see if my numbers have improved...Any advise would be great?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

In my opinion (and the opinion of US guidelines), you meet criteria for starting on HIV medications.

It's ok to wait for confirmatory labs, but even if the numbers increase modestly, but remain less than 350, I'd recommend starting.

Make sure that your doctor has screened you for HIV drug resistance and for risks of kidney disease-- the principle reasons why Atripla-based treatments can run into difficulty.

After that, then it's time to discuss how to be as adherent to your treatments as possible and plans for monitoring your progress.

Best of luck, BY

Previous
Can you help me?
Next
I did not consult my doctor

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.