Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

1 year
Nov 15, 2007

It's been a little over a year sense I tested poz. I am not taking medication nor have I ever taken medication. My first set of labs were CD4 772, VL 1,600, W/ a 33% over the course of a year my labs have not changed much my last set of labs were taken in Oct. and they were CD4 860, VL 1,200,W/a 38% My question is what would be my set point? and Baseline? My HIV Doctor told me that my HIV is inactive, does that make sense? And is there a way of knowing how long I have been HIV poz? I ask because the year I found out that I was poz I tested Negative in Sept then in Oct I tested Poz then my labs were taken and my Doctor said I had to have been poz for some time cause my numbers were so good. I'm confused don't get me wrong I am doing back flips over here because my number are where they are. I just don't understand how I could have always tested Negative and been Positive. Any Clues? Thanks for your answer. Billy in Tulsa, Okla.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Billy,

I think your doc may be confused or is confusing you with his/her statements. Your HIV is not inactive. It is replicating to the tune of keeping about 1000-2000 virus in your blood at any one time. That is low level but not inactive. These viruses are working on your immune system and can be spread to others via sex or sharing of needles.

Your set point seems to be between 1000-2000. This is a great viral load and most data indicates a lower viral load is much better than a higher viral load in terms of prognosis. It may well be that your CD4 cell count will stay high for years and years.

If you had a negative test in Sept and then were positive in Oct, that is good evidence you were infected sometime right before or after the Sept test. Looking at your numbers now does not help us in determining when you were infected. This pair of tests does.

Thanks

DW

Previous
meds and dirty drops
Next
flu shot and anitbiotics

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.