Reyataz & Truvada But No Norvir

My CD4 count is 185 and my viral load is 94000/ml. My doctor has prescribed me Reyataz and Truvada but not Norvir. I just read that all three are typically adminstered at the same time. Why would my physician not prescribe me Norvir? I am being treated for Toxoplasmosis and currently taking Daraprim, Leucovorin, and Sulfadiazine. I am also taking Diflucan.

Thank you.

You are correct in that this regimen is usually administered with Norvir to enhance its potency and lessen the chance for development of resistance and there are studies which demonstrate this benefit. The downside is that the addition of Norvir tends to lead to somewhat higher lipid levels and there is more potential for drug-drug interactions. But on balance, adding Norvir is a good idea.

I would ask your doctor why not add the Norvir and see what she says. Let us know. Best of luck!

Disagree with my doctor
Changing Meds due to Glucose intolerance