Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Future

Sorru for mu very bad English. I,m from Portugal I need to Know the Truth. MY boyfriend has AIDS. We Know this the last week. He has 78 CD4 and 60.000 viral count. Doctors says that we must be optimist, and they says that now thera are a lot of possibilites that my boyfriend lives 10, 15 or more years. My heart is broken and i think that the doctor says this because I am bad. In Portugal there are all the antiretrovirals. What is te real future for us?. Have we possibilites for live some years?. Thanks

Thank you for your questions.

The outlook for those recently diagnosed with HIV infection is really quite good; with proper counseling and treatment (especially with combination HIV therapies and excellent adherence), we can expect survival to be 10 or more years. This is based on observations from the North American HOPS cohort, where we looked at patients with CD4 counts ever below 100 cells. In this cohort, we examined all patients, irrespective of treatment type or clinic; hence, you might expect even better survival in the years to come with better treatments, better insight into adherence and managment of side effects.

In the end, the single most important aspect and predictor of survival is taking medications with near religious adherence; less than 95% adherence is associated with measureable differences in viral suppression; it would be reasonable to expect that this would also be associated with decreased long-term survival.

Good luck, BY

VL and drug holidays
mono theraphy