Nov 11, 2007
Hi Dr's. Please can I ask 2 questions. 1) Dosing - Is it ok to dose up to 2 hours early/late? Are PI's more forgiving in this respect than NNRTI's? Will this cause resistance issues? 2) Alcohol - Is it still safe to drink alcohol whilst on combination therapy? Will the alcohol cause the pills to lose their potency (Like I have heard that anti-biotics do)? Thank you so much, Mike.
Response from Dr. Young
Mike, thanks for your post.
It's entirely ok to take your medicines a little off of the spot-on schedule. I'd think that a couple of hours on occasion won't make any significant difference. To me, the real issue is taking the medicines appropriately, sticking with any diet or drug restrictions.
As for PIs and NNRTIs, I don't think that there are tremendous differences with the time requirements; PIs clearly have less resistance than NNRTIs in the few patients that experience treatment failure with either type of regimen.
2) It's ok to drink alcohol in moderation with your HIV medications. Again, the only real issue is among persons who drink to the point of missing their medicine doses or among persons with other liver issues (hepatitis virus infection, for example).
Hope this helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Does It Mean To Be Exposed To Herpes?
- What Does Herpes Look Like Around Your Lip?
- What Color Is The Fluid Inside Herpes Blisters?
- What Can Cause Blisters On Vagina Besides Herpes?
- What Are The Long Term Effects Of Gonorrhea?
- What Are The Chances Of Transmitting Chlamydia After One Time?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.