Dosing/Alcohol Issues

Hi Dr's. Please can I ask 2 questions. 1) Dosing - Is it ok to dose up to 2 hours early/late? Are PI's more forgiving in this respect than NNRTI's? Will this cause resistance issues? 2) Alcohol - Is it still safe to drink alcohol whilst on combination therapy? Will the alcohol cause the pills to lose their potency (Like I have heard that anti-biotics do)? Thank you so much, Mike.

Mike, thanks for your post.

It's entirely ok to take your medicines a little off of the spot-on schedule. I'd think that a couple of hours on occasion won't make any significant difference. To me, the real issue is taking the medicines appropriately, sticking with any diet or drug restrictions.

As for PIs and NNRTIs, I don't think that there are tremendous differences with the time requirements; PIs clearly have less resistance than NNRTIs in the few patients that experience treatment failure with either type of regimen.

2) It's ok to drink alcohol in moderation with your HIV medications. Again, the only real issue is among persons who drink to the point of missing their medicine doses or among persons with other liver issues (hepatitis virus infection, for example).

Hope this helps, BY

First choice for treatment
Is it possible to have lipodystrophy already?