Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Flu or ARS
Nov 6, 2007

I hope this has not been asked. I looked and didnt see an answer. Two weeks ago, i was intoxicated and brought a man home. I cant remember if we had sex or not but I know there was oral. I dont believe there was any ejaculation. He swears up and down we didnt have sex. At any rate, Within 48 hours, I began to take PEP and was feeling fine except for some of the mild side effects. Two days ago, I felt like I was coming down with a cold and my body began to ache. The cold never took but my body still hurts. I dont have a fever or anything else. Im wondering-does this sound like ARS and since Im on PEP, would I experiece ARS?? or if it is flu season and I have just picked up one of the million viruses going around. Thank you for you help...

Nervous

Response from Dr. Wohl

It could be the flu or a cold but it is impossible to rule out acute HIV infection just by symptoms. I would also be concerned about side effects of your HIV meds. Go to your doctor and have an HIV viral load test done, a complete blood count, blood chemistries including liver tests and a CPK level (a muscle enzyme).

Any chance his man could be tested for HIV. If he is negative, it would reduce your worry.

DW

Previous
Have AIDS with no insurance
Next
Mixing med's

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.