Immediate meds after exposure

Hi, I'm gay and I've recently had unsafe (can't remeber properly) sex practice at a party after having too much alcohol. I panicked, because of the whole HIV thing and got myself a HIV med starter pack retrovir and 3tc (3days). I do not have contact with the person whom I had unsafe practice with and can't remember having anal sex either (didn't feel like it the next day). However, I found a stain in my underwear that could be blood and other stains (could be semen), which is making me worry. Is it necessary to continue the medication for the whole 4 weeks and will it reduce the chances of getting HIV if I started taking the medicine within 48 hrs after exposure?

Thanks. Worried

Thanks for your post.

If you truly think that you may have had a risky exposure, then starting on post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) can reduce the likelihood of transmission.

PEP should be taken as soon as possible after exposure and for 4 weeks. You'd hate to look back at this period and say that you didn't do all you could to prevent HIV.

Good luck and be safe out there, BY

Low Platelets and Spleen Removal
Have AIDS with no insurance