drug dosage

Dear Sir/Madam

I was recently diagnosed hiv+. The exams showed that my cd4 are 360 and viral over 500.000 . My doctor, specialised in hiv suggested the following treatment:

TRUVADA 1 pill daily KALETRA (200mg/50mg)3 pills /twice a day.

My question is, do you think the dosage of KALETRA is the appropriate one? The instructions manual says about 4 pills daily, why 6 pills to me? Should I worry about my condition? I mean, I have talked to many hiv+ people and noone takes 7 pills daily. I would like to thank you in advance.

MP Athens Greece

Thanks for your post from Greece.

You're correct. The normal dose of lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) is 400mg/100mg (2 tablets) twice daily or 800mg/200mg (4 tablets) once-daily. The 6 pill dose refers to the older capsule formulation of the medication (resulting in the same milligram dosing).

In some patients with drug resistant virus, doctors may opt to use a higher dose of lopinavir/ritonavir. With today's newer and more potent protease inhibitors, I'd think that this experimental use of Kaletra is no longer warranted.

Hope this helps. BY

Is Monotherapy possible in the future
starting meds tomorrow