preparing for a new treatment

Hello I'm a long term patient who has been on a drug holiday since jan\07 because of drug resistance. I was previously on T-20 for most of 2006 but developed resistance to it also. On nov 1\07 i will start a new powerfull cocktail consisting of at least TMC-125 + 114, and MK-1058. I expect these to be very effective. My question is, Would there be any benefit in taking T-20 for 1-2 weeks before starting this new cocktail? I ask because I read somewhere that the more quickly a new treatment achieves undetectable levels the longer it may be effective and since I've been on a holiday most likely T-20 would be effective (on wild virus)and reduce the VL that the new cocktail will be facing and reduce the oppertunity for the virus to "break the combination" with these new drugs. My doctor shrugged of this idea, is there any data to support this idea? Cheers Longtermer

Thanks for your post.

If you've had virologic failure (detectable viral load) while taking enfuvirtide (T20,Fuzeon), it's very likely that you have resistance to this drug. It's possible to run special resistance test to check if this is the case.

Given the likelihood of resistance to T20, there's no need to continue T20 when you start your new regimen.

Best of luck, BY

whats wrong with this scenerio?
Extra dose by mistake!