The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oct 24, 2007

Hello, I am concerned about reinfection with HIV after receiving new lab results. I never had unprotected sex but the head of a penis with semen has pressed against (not inserted) my anus a few times (I was not on medicine at this time). My anus is senstive and gets red and irritated easily (sometimes even bleeds lightly because of excess skin from a previous hemmeroid). Just today I received lab results and my cd4 count was 567 when about ten months ago the results have shown a count of 768 (Viral Load was missing in the lab test results). Should I be concerned about reinfection? Is this the type of CD4 cell drop that's seen with reinfection? I have been positive since the end of 2000 and this took place at the end of 2006. I have been off meds since 2005 (2yrs)

Response from Dr. Wohl

It is most likely that the change in the CD4 cell count had nothing to do with re-infection with HIV. This type of decline may be due to the expected progression of HIV, lab variability or the natural variability in this cell count.

Repeating the test and looking to see if the CD4% (the percent of your white cells that are CD4 cells) has changed can help make it clearer if there has been a significant change in your count.

Re-infection can happen and I would bet the type of exposure you decribed presents a risk. Insisting on a condom even if there is no full insertion would be much safer.


Just diagnosed
Why fix it if it ain't broke?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint