Mepron Prophylaxis

I was wondering what longterm complications can arise from a Mepron prophylaxis. When reading the prescribing information I read this: "Atovaquone is a hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone, an analog of ubiquinone, with antipneumocystis activity. The mechanism of action against Pneumocystis carinii has not been fully elucidated. In Plasmodium species, the site of action appears to be the cytochrome bc1 complex (Complex III). Several metabolic enzymes are linked to the mitochondrial electron transport chain via ubiquinone. Inhibition of electron transport by atovaquone will result in indirect inhibition of these enzymes. The ultimate metabolic effects of such blockade may include inhibition of nucleic acid and ATP synthesis."

Can anyone help me? I know any side effects of Mepron do not compare to death of PCP, but I just want to be fully aware of what I am taking. And the ramifications of taking it.

Thanks for your post.

Atovaquone is an alternate treatment (or prevention) for Pneumocystic pneumonia (PCP). It is generally very well tolerated and not associated with any significant mitochondrial toxicity.

Given that HIV treatments typically increase CD4 counts rapidly, the length of time that the average person remains of PCP prophylaxis is relatively short. I'd echo your statement in that PCP risk is far, far greater than the risks of atovaquone toxicity.

Hope this is helpful. BY

Atripla vs Sustiva and Truvada
Abdominal TB