Sustiva and lipoatrophy.

You wrote a few days ago that we need to get past the idea that PI's are all bad for lipo bec a recent study showed that sustiva caused more lipo. To say that. without mentioning that sustiva was paired with azt/d4t/etc. is misleading. I know you're not a paid consultant for PI's.YOu should have quoted the study and mentioned that the lipo was worse with sustiva when combined with azt/d4t.Sustiva taken in the atripla form, show NO lipo issues.YOU should;ve mentioned this..

Thank you for your comments.

First off, let correct you to say that I am a paid consultant for several pharmaceutical companies-- including the makers of nukes, non-nukes, protease inhbitors, entry- and integrase inhbitors. I'd like to believe that I report the medical science fairly and balanced, but these relationships can certainly impart bias. My biosketch lists these potential conflicts.

The study that I refer to is the ACTG 5142 study- a government (non-industry) sponsored clinical trial. The lipodystrophy results of ACTG 5142 have been presented at international HIV conferences and show that irrespective of the nucleoside backbone(s) included with either efavirenz (Sustiva) or lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), there is a increased observation of lipoatrophy with among persons who took the non-nuke efavirenz. Further analysis showed that irrespective of the efavirenz or lopinavir/ritonavir component, patients receiving d4T had greater rates of lipo than those who received AZT. Patients receiving tenofovir (Viread) had the lowest rates of lipoatrophy, but lipo was still observed in these study groups.

In this study, 6% of patients who took lopinavir/ritonavir with tenofovir (and 3TC) developed fat loss after 96 weeks. This compares to 12% among those who took an Atripla-like regimen of efavirenz/tenfovir/3TC-- not "NO lipo issues", as you state.

For the record, I have not consulted for Abbott Laboratories, the maker of Kaletra and Norvir since their disgraceful Norvir price increase in 2003.

BY

Headache
Atripla vs Sustiva and Truvada