Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long will a regimen last?
Oct 17, 2007

If you have no resistance mutations to any of the medications you are taking, and were previously treatment naive, how long can you expect to be on a regimen before you become resistant?

I have been on my regimen for 4 months now, and I just wonder how long you can be on a regimen before you become resistant. When I read about resistance they make it seem like it is inevitable and will happen no matter what you do.

I take ALL of my medications on time, and I NEVER EVER miss a single dose of them. I am just afraid that oneday I am going to get my labs done and my doctor will tell me I am resistant.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Resistance is not inevitable.

I have a whole bunch of patients who have been on medications for nearly 10 years without any suggestion of drug resistance. Indeed, among my patients who have started medications in the last 5 years (mostly boosted PIs-, or efavirenz-based regimens), we've not had a single virological failure.

Hope this helps. BY

Previous
3rd round of meds in 2 years
Next
Update after 13 months on treatment.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.