New regimen

Hello Dr. Young,

I'm starting my first HAART regimen for which I choose fosamprenavir/Telzir and Epzicom/Lexiva.

In Europe this regimen is not licensed for once daily usage. I have however heard that it can be taken once a day at 1400mg Lexiva and 200mg Norvir at once. Is this true? If this will be licensed in Europe soon can I start on the twice daily regimen as my doctor recommends and then switch to once daily later when this is approved? Is the data (if any) on the once daily regimen reliable?

anything should I keep in mind when starting this regimen?

I'm starting my first dose in 2 days, I hope to have your answer by then.

Thanks a lot

Thanks for your European post.

The combination of abacavir/3TC (Epzicom/Kivexa) and ritonavir (Norvir)-boosted fosamprenavir (Lexiva/Telzir) is commonly used in our clinic for first-line treatment of HIV. Our patients' experiences have been very positive.

Yes, fosamprenavir can be dosed once-daily when boosted- this is on the basis of a number of well designed, prospective clinical studies.

Here in the US, boosted fosamprenavir is approved for once-daily use in first-line patients- indeed, last week the US FDA approved a newer, lower ritonavir dose too- 100 mg with 1400 mg fosamprenavir.

It would be entirely reasonable to switch from the twice daily to once-daily; but one could discuss initiating your regimen as a once-daily right from the start.

Hope this helps. BY

Mixed couple
Hep B - Sustiva