Trouble choosing meds.

I have been positive for 10 years now and for the last 6 been on AZT, 3TC and Abacavir. I had a baby 18 months ago and as my body came back to its normal size I noticed how my arms and legs were quite thin and realised that I was experiencing lipodystrophy. Six weeks ago I decided to take a treatment break as along with the body changes I was constantly nauseous. My doctor now wants me to retun to meds as of course my T-cell count has done a nose dive. I find all these meds very confusing and the data available on the internet so conflicting. She wants me to go on a combination with REYATAZ or TRUVADA. As with most HIV positive people I am very concerned about side effects (I tend to get the whole gammit)especially lipodystophy and lipoatrophy. Can you help me in telling me which of these meds are less likely to cause lipo and which are more tolerated, especially in women. Tank you. This is a great site that I am constanly coming back to for help and information I can trust.

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Of the NRTIs, Truvada is least likely to cause lipoatrophy so this is a logical choice. Of the protease inhibitors, Reyataz is arguably the best tolerated and least likely to cause metabolic disturbance. However, when Reyataz is used as an unboosted (by Norvir) protease inhibitor loses some of its potency advantage. This may not matter in your situation since presumably you had an undetectable viral load on a fairly weak regimen (Trizivir equivalent). So in summary, Truvada and Reyataz would be a reasonable option for you. Let us know what you decide to do and how things turn out. Good luck!

What you think about KP-1461?
How long