Artripla Update from 8/19 Experience

So far so good - CD4 was 221 now is 331 (I did notice that CD4 counts are higher on my afternoon blood drawls). The vial load wass 71K now is 25K so this is a marked improvement over the past 3 months. As for side effect - no have been notice beyond vivid dreams. No weight loss or body fat changes. More to come in the next 3 months.

Thanks for your post.

I'm happy to see your CD4 count increase, but I'm very concerned (call it unhappy) about your viral load- after 3 months, I'd expect a minimum decrease of 99% (2 log10) if your treatment regimen was fully active. This would mean an expected viral load of 700- 25,000 is far too little of a response.

Assuming that you haven't missed too many of your doses, this raises the possibility that you were infected with a virus that was resistant to one or more of the component medications in Atripla- indeed efavirenz resistance is the most commonly transmitted pattern of resistance. Did your doctor obtain HIV drug resistance testing before starting your treatment?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad interpretations. I'd have the viral load repeated in the near future- if it remains elevated, a drug resistance test would be indicated.

Best of health, BY

atripla and grapefruit juice
lab results