CD4 Counts and CD4%

Dear Benjamin Young,

I have recently been diagnosed in the UK (where guidlines for starting treatment talk about CD4 counts of around 200). My first tests (July 30th) showed a CD4 count of 341, CD4% 23.8% and VL 37000. Now my second tests came back without a VL as yet, but a CD4 count of 230 and CD4% going up to 24.7%

Should I re-do the CD4 counts tests and should I be worried about OI's? or starting treatment?

Thank you.

Thanks for your post from the UK.

With your current counts, I don't feel that your at significant immediate risk of an opportunistic infection (OI).

While I don't think that you need to repeat the tests for the next 2-4 months, if you were a patient here in the US, we'd begin the process of discussing HIV medications. Getting HIV drug resistance testing is the next step, recommended by government guidelines both here and in the UK.

Hope this is helpful, BY

Blood in stool
New To Meds and Scared!