Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How many antivirals are needed?
Oct 9, 2007

My doctor recently put me on acyclovir & is considering adding Epivir. I'm wondering if there are instances where only 2 antivirals are used instead of three to keep viral load in check? Most of the literature i've read seems to infer that there's a 3 drug minimum for the cocktail to work most effectively. What is your opinion on this? The acyclovir is working very well & my doc is hoping the epivir will get me even more quality of life (i'm already on about 8 other meds but none of them HIV meds - all for systemic symptom management). Thank you very much. C-

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

What??

Acyclovir is a medication used to treat herpes virus, not HIV. Epivir (3TC, part of Combivir and Trizivir) is an HIV medication (also used to treat hepatitis B).

Under no circumstances should monotherapy for HIV be used in the US. All HIV treatments involve the use of 3 or 4 medications, sometimes available in combination medications that reduce the total number of pills.

I think you need to ask your doctor about what literature he or she is reading and consider looking for a new healthcare provider who knows a little more about HIV.

Write us back and let me know how this turns out. BY

Previous
What constitutes a VL "blip"
Next
atripla and liver problems

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.