|Patients treated with PI
Oct 7, 2007
Hi I`M from Mexico, and Im starting a research about alterations in lipid profiles in HIV patients treated with PI therapy are not influenced by diet,i would like to know whats your opinion about it!! thnxs!!
| Response from Dr. Wohl
Diet does indeed play a role in ART associated lipid changes. Dietary intake of carbohydrates can aggrevate the increases in triglycerides that are seen with most HIV regimens. Saturated fats likely also increase LDL cholesterol but this is less of a problem in HIV+ persons.
Certainly, we know that HIV treatment itself can increase lipid levels including HDL cholesterol. Ritonavir is most notorious. But, I would not let diet off the hook.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does Tingling In Feet Mean I Have Hiv?
- Black Spots After Condom Broke Anal Worried I Have HIV
- Dizziness After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Insertive Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.