Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nephrotic Syndrome - follow up
Sep 30, 2007

Hi Hope your well. I wrote 31/8 about Nephrotic Syndrome diagnosis and the various possible causes. I had the biopsy 2 weeks ago now and initial results show not related to HIV - so my HIV dr was right. At this stage the most likely diagnosis is early membranous glomerulonephritis - trying saying that after a few beers. They still haven't ruled out a link to Truvada and the Diclofenic I was taking. And so they ve sent the sample to another lab to check. I ll let you know the outcome. In the meantime my change to Kivexa has been uneventful and VL still <40 CD4>400. Started on Ramipril, Frusemide, Warfarin to control the kidneys and likely to start high dose oral corticosteriods once diagnosis is confirmed. Thanks again.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Thanks for the follow-up.

Here is a link to the original post and answer.

Our team takes care of a patient with HIV who was diagnosed with nephrotic range proteinuria several years ago while on HIV medications with controlled viral replication. She had a kidney biopsy and had the same thing. She was treated with corticosteroids and completely responded and is fine now.

Interestingly, she was on Viread which was not stopped because her condition seemed to be unrelated. She still continues on Viread and has had stable kidney function.

Good luck!

Previous
What is the update on the french dendritic cell vaccine
Next
Son with AIDS given 6 months to live

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.