Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Studies on HIV Controllers (2)
Sep 27, 2007

Hello,

You recently answered a question for me on HIV Controllers, but I am still looking for more answers. In your reponse you listed a link to Dr. Walker's current study on controllers. Actually, in my research I had read over the details of his study before asking my question to you.

What I am looking for are completed studies, with some answers as to what I can expect from this disease in the future. I find it really disappointing that this would be the only study on controllers and it is in beginning stages as of 2007. It seems that someone would have looked into controllers prior to this in the disease's 30 year history. Even if there are studies completed in other coutries, I am interested.

The big question I am looking for an answer to is whether there is an average time controller's can keep the virus in check, but anything to help me understand my somewhat unique position would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Sorry, dissapointing as it is, there's really no quantitative data on this question.

Most persons with very low viral loads maintain their CD4s for a long time. The problem is that some do have CD4 progression- and to my knowledge, there's no test that allows us to predict who is who.

The best I can say is that for all patients, elite or not-so-elite, getting routine labs provides a real chart for prognosis and trajectory of disease, rather than a betting approach with odds. BY

Previous
Brain Damage II
Next
interaction

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.