MK-0518 - Smell A Rat?

Having been hiv + for 22 years, I am very treatment experience and have multiple drug resistances. I enrolled in a study, through MERK's, expanded access program take MK-0518. I have been in many drug studies over the years and yet MERK's MK-0518 is the only one I have been on, in which the details of the drug have not been released. No actual numbers of occurences of side effects(in actual percentages, No information on the metabolism of the drug(liver/kidney) and what elements are used to break it down! I have asked the study nurses and drug reps of MERK for the info, which they claim they have, but are not at liberty to discuss.

At the same time,(in the last 3 months) every one who is abuzz about this drug still has no specific information and yet they keep saying that is a heart beat away from being approved!

Is this some new precedent? The reason I ask is that I am having some very unusual side affects, such as uncontrollable diarrhea, and now cirrhosis, extreme water retention, chronic fatigue, and the list just keeps going. None of these conditions were present before I started these meds 3 months ago! And no one is addressing these issues!

Please let me know what you think is going on here, because I am starting to feel a little desperate!

Peace, Gary Minneapolis

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Here is a link to the background package which was submitted to the FDA for approval of this medication. It is public information and is 160 pages long; you should be able to find the data that you are looking for.

The reason that there is so much buzz about this agent is that it is a very good medication and represents a significant advance in treatment. It is very potent and one of its other advantages is that it is well tolerated. So check the data and you will see that this is by no means a rat.

But your situation sounds unstable and must be discussed and addressed with your clinician. Your problems could well be medication related, although there are other things to consider as well depending on your CD4+ count. There may be an opportunistic infection at work and the diagnosis of cirrhosis should be explained as well.

Best of luck!

On the fence about when to start ...
new combination lasting?