Restarting after STI

I was diagnosed in 1999 with HIV...started meds a reasearch study at the university..Crixivan+Ritonivir...was on that for about a year and all my labs were excellent...cd4 off the scale and viral load undecetable....study ended, and i switched med to zerit,epivir,ziagen....labs remained good, then switched to Trizivir and Viread for ease in dosing...labs remained the same..undetectable. unfortunetly i was incarcerated and never saw a doc in the clink...althought they continued to provide meds...so, after i got out and ran out of the meds they gave me, i decided it was time for a break and stopped taking all HIV meds, that was 2 years ago and i haven't taken one since, but i think it's time to get back into the groove. Since the Trizivir worked so well for me and is one of the easiest drugs (for me at least) to tolerate, can i go back on the same combination, or is it better to just change it up to something different, i haven't had labs done in over 2 years so i don't know what my numbers are now and i think that i am starting to see some signs of AIDS defining illnesses...Please advise

Hello, and thanks for posting.

You probably could go back on the same regimen although it is possible that your virus might have developed some drug resistance when you were incarcerated or as you were running out of medications.

The best place to start is to get back into care, find a clinician to help you manage this condition, and update your blood tests. Although new agents are available, there is no strong reason not to go with the last one, since you had a positive experience with it.

Best of luck!

low cd4 six months after infection
Swollen