PEP Treatment after sharp exposure

First let me just say how wonderful and informative I find your site.

Yesterday (I have not hit 24 hours yet) I was removing sutures from an HIV + patients and I stuck myself with the scissors from the suture removal kit. There was no active bleeding (on the patient) but there was dried blood present and possibly sone drainage around the drain site.

I had a small pinpoint size punture to my forearm.

Could you please offer any information on this incident you may have. I have not found information anywhere that addresses transmission or risk via scissors. In your opinion, should I begin PEP.

Thanks!

This would be considered a very low risk exposure. The decision to initiate PEP after a sharps accident depends on the severity of the exposure, and characteristics of the source patient (high viral load not good, undetectable viral load good). Here is a link to the CDC guidelines.

The PEP line is another service to help guide clinicians make better choices in managing these complex situations. Here is a link to this site.

Good luck!

HBV vaccination and HIV ELISA
bactrium