Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TCell at 40
Sep 15, 2007

My partner just tested t-cell 40, down from 144 in July. Viral load up 800% since July. Doctors are doing a resistance panel today for two recently released drugs.

I'd appreciate your honest opinion of what we likely can expect.

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your post.

Your partner needs to begin taking care of his HIV. First, he should be on preventive medications to prevent Pneumocystis pneumonia (trimethoprim/sulfa aka Bactrim) and MAC infection (azithromycin).

While awaiting his HIV resistance test, this is a good time to learn about treatment options, since with a CD4 count of 40 (or 144 for that matter), he needs to start. I'm curious about your comment about the new drugs- does your partner have drug resistance? Is he failing a drug regimen or hasn't started on one yet?

Whether drug resistant or not, there are a number of very good treatment options. We'll use the resistance testing (and now, genetic testing of the patient--HLA haplotype) to help guide deciding about what the best treatments are for the patient and for the virus.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back with any follow up. BY

Previous
HIV treatment
Next
Epzicom/Sustiva and Weight Gain

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.