Mono-therapy with Kaletra

I have been reading about doctors putting patients on "mono-therapy" with Kaletra; that is, the patient takes Kaletra only. From what I've read, this has shown promise for patients who have been on a cocktail and have their viral load down to undetectable and the CD4 up to a decent level. I buy my own medicines with my own money. If I could drop the Combivir from my regimen and stay on Kaletra only, it would save me quite a bit.

What's your take on this mono-therapy approach with Kaletra?

I think that mono-therapy with Kaletra works almost as well as Kaletra plus 2 nucleosides. I have a number of patients on Kaletra monotherapy, some for more than 5 years, who are doing well with undetectable viral loads and good CD4+ lymphocyte counts.

It certainly is less expensive and this is one of the reasons that some of my patients are on it. If you and doctor decide to change to monotherapy be sure to check your viral load after the transition. If the viral load rebounds (which doesn't happen often) it typically goes back to undetectable when the nukes are restarted.

Good luck!

viral load
drop in numbers