Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should I take medicine on CMV?
Sep 11, 2007

Dr. Wohl,

I am 41, male. My CD4 tested three weeks ago was 234, a drop from 294 in 10 days. Total lymphocyte from 760 to 700. CD8 from 240 to 213, CD3=410. CMV IgG=43 AU/mL. EBNA positive EBV VCA IGM negative. I have peripheral neuropathy symptom. Couphing up a little clear mucus. My mouth taste very bad, sour powder like taste. The surface of tongue was slimy stick, quickly coated with white coating after 8 hours. No HIV can be detected so far. I am worried about CMV infection in organs especially CMV pneumonia. what does high concentration of CMV IgG mean? Should I take medication? My appointment to the ID doctor is two weeks later. I am eager to know. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Wohl

The CMV test you had measures antibodies that your body makes to CMV. It does not meausre the virus itself. Your test only indicates that you have made IgG type antibodies to CMV - indicating the infection was not recently. CMV infection is very common in humans and in many regions of the world the majority of the population has been infected. In the US, almost 90% of gay men have antibodies to CMV.

All this means is that some time ago you were infected with CMV. This could have been when you were a child playing with other children or as an adult when intimate with another. It does not mean you have active disease caused by CMV as the antibodies are always there in HIV+ and HIV- people who have been infected. The virus, like its sister viruses herpes simplex and varicella (chickpox virus), lies dormant but can reactivate to cause problems when the immune system falters.

At a CD4 over 200 it would be quite unusual for CMV to cause active disease. People with counts below 75 are more likely to develop CMV problems and in 80% it is in the form of disease of the retina of the eye. Pneumonia from CMV in HIV+ persons is rare.

Also, that drop in CD4 from 294 to 234 almost certainly just represents the variability in the test and day to day changes in CD4 cell counts. I would not look at this as a sign of declining immune function.

In short, don't worry about CMV. You may just have a cold. Go to your doc and see if these is anything serious going on.

DW

Previous
Zinc and selenium ok?
Next
Why not undetectable yet?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.