Is Atripla a starter ART?

Hi Dr. Pierone

I am 41 years old and have recently stared on Atripla. I also have been taking Lexapro for about 24 months as well. My viral load in July '07 was 58k and my CD4 count was 227. I have never taken HIV meds before and have tested negative to any HIV drug resistance. Is Atripla the best med to start ART on and what long term affects will this drug have on my kidneys and liver?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Based on the currently available data, a strong argument can be made that Atripla is the best starting regimen for HIV infection at this time. This medication is not for everyone of course and there will be individuals who will do better with an alternative cocktail. The long-term effects on the liver and kidneys beyond 5 years are not known since this combination product contains newer medications. However, the side effect profile is better than the previous cocktails, so this suggests that there will be less long-term toxicity as well.

my mouth is burning , i need help?
HIV treatment not available in Africa, how long until I die?