follow up q. Which meds ?

Hi Doctor Young. Again, thanks for your prompt repy.

I live in Hong Kong , and am just worried that some of the better options might not be available here.

So, you think Kaletra and Cobivir is a good start ? or should i be asking / questioning my doctor about other options ? i am worried aboout AZT and wasting, but i do work out and do cradio sessions evry day, to loose some of the high cholestoral that i have. Am i doing the right thing ?

Thanks very much

Hello again. Thanks for your post from Hong Kong.

Yes, you're doing the right thing to start on a guideline-recommended, well studied first-line HIV treatment; I do think that Combivir + Kaletra is a very reasonable starting point.

I don't know about the specifics of which HIV medications are available in HK and it is entirely possible that other recommended first-line medications are possibilities for you. (In fairness we start most patients on alternative regimens here in the US, but used your proposed regimen commonly in the not so distant past). To answer these questions, it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor.

In the recent ACTG 5142 study, AZT was associated with slighly greater risk of lipo than other nukes (namely tenofovir), but this risk was lessened when combined with Kaletra. Overall, after 96 weeks of treatment, 16% of AZT/3TC+ Kaletra patients developed lipoatrophy in this study- this compares similarly to 12% of patients who took tenofovir/3TC + efavirenz (a regimen very similar to Atripla) or 6% among those receiving tenofovir/3TC + Kaletra.

Hope this helps, BY

Study coming to close
Blood into eyes, PEP reccomended?