For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

GERD and Reyataz, what to do?

Hi -

I asked some time ago about prilosec with reyataz, and chose to keep reyataz versus prilosec. . . Well, my acid reflux is back and Pepcid AC is not working! Is Ranitidine okay? I have been on Reyataz for 2 weeks, and I am trying not to wimp out and switch meds. I dont want to start resistances. But is switching meds the only way to get my acid reflux okay again? Is there a Proton pump inhibitor that doesn't interact with Reyataz?

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Pepcid AC contains 10mg of famotidine. Studies have shown that 40mg of famotidine can be administered with reyataz (either 20mg twice daily or 40mg taken once daily at a separate time). If this full dose of Pepcid is ineffective you may need to switch to a different regimen since proton pump inhibitors dramatically lower Reyataz blood levels.

Best of luck!

Will currnt symptoms affect viral load and cd4 count?
follow up q. Which meds ?