Follow Up on Switching meds or drug holiday

Thanks Dr. Pierone for the response to my question re. Changing meds or holiday???

I have another question re. your answer here: "The new regimen suggested by the specialist has less risk of lipoatrophy and there are studies which show slow improvement of lipoatrophy after switch from AZT to Viread (contained in Truvada). So if you decide to switch rather than stop, this cocktail is a good choice." Would you recommend something different? Keep in mind that I have always done well on every medication that I have taken.

Thanks, D

PS: I agree with you 100% about the phamaceutical companies.... and it totally pisses me off.

Here is my previous post for our readers.

If you decided to switch and there is no history of drug resistant virus then there is an argument to be made for simply switching Combivir and Sustiva to Atripla (Viread+Emtriva+Sustiva). This is one pill at bedtime and avoids protease inhibitor exposure.

The ruthless and greedy quote was actually in reference to the people running the insurance companies. My view of the pharmaceutical companies is more nuanced. Although I acknowledge this to be simplistic I consider them to be hybrid organizations. On the one side you have the scientists striving to discover new compounds for the betterment of mankind (and to make their mama proud). They are counterbalanced by the marketing folks who would extol the unique and extraordinary taste experience of liquid ritonavir (Norvir) if they thought it would help them make quota.

Lexiva Boosted with 100 mg. of Norvir
Lipitor, Videx & Peripheral Neuropathy