Nephrotic syndrome

Drs

I am a 39yr old white male. Diagnosed AIDS Feb 2006 VL>100,000, CD4 130. Meds started March 2006 Sustiva/Truvada. Eventually VL <40 in October 2006 CD4 then 330. VL <40 since then and CD4 increasing. June 2007 diagnosed Nephrotic syndrome, stopped Truvada replaced with Kivexa. Current numbers VL<40 CD4 469. Started Rampiril to reduce BP. Due to have kidney biopsy in 2 weeks - ultra sound showed no visable problems. OK now for my questions. My renal specialist is convinced its HIV Nephrotic syndrome, my HIV specialist is not - his argument is that why would it occur after the VL was <40 and under control. Is it possible/are you aware of any similar scenarios? My HIV Consultant is convinced it may be an unreported side effect of Truvada along with the other renal problems it can cause. Again are you aware of other cases of Truvada causing this specific problem. And finally they both agree it could also be a auto immune problem - would this be because of my improved immune system or caused by something else. Your views/opinions much appreciated. Thank you

This is a tough call. Your problem with nephrotic syndrome could be related to HIV, the tenofovir component of Truvada, or possibly an immune reconstitution reaction. Tenofovir generally does not produce nephrotic range proteinuria when it caused kidney problems, but it remains a possibility. So stopping Truvada was a prudent action. The kidney biopsy may be useful to help sort things out. If there is evidence of an immune reaction then a course of corticosteroids may be helpful.

Let us know what happens after the biopsy and is a specific diagnosis is established. Best of luck to you!

Black cohosh+meds
Calcium Supplements with HIV Meds