Atripla vs. Viraday

Hi Dr. Young, Thank you for your previous reply...it was very helpful. You mentioned "in the US where direct cost of HIV medications are rarely absorbed by the patient, Viraday isn't going to be much of an issue". My insurance only offers prescriptions at a 25% discount. Atripla will cost me $1200 for a 30 day supply. What programs are you referring to that I may be able to tap into? Also, I just had my CD4 count done again to establish a good baseline, and it is now 314 (was 206 two weeks ago) without starting meds yet. What factors can contribute to this type of fluctuation? Thank you again for your help! --J

J, thanks for the follow up.

Ouch, 25% discount only? Not a particularly well-endowed insurance plan.

You might consider speaking with your local AIDS service organization or case manager to see if there are other ways of getting assistance-- depending on your income, patient assistance programs may be one possibility.

One other thing to consider, is whether any clinical trials are enrolling new subjects in your area. It's not uncommon for such studies to provide the very medications (or something very similar) for upwards of 2 years (ie, no copayments).

As for the CD4s, we can see this kind of fluctuation in patients not yet on treatment- probably no particular reason (though concurrent infections, immunizations can affect these numbers). Either way, 206 or 314, I'd recommend continuing to proceed with getting started on medications.

Hope this helps. Best of health. BY

Is it possible?
Atripla vs. Truvada/Kaletra