Truvada and Pancreatitus

I am a South African living in Cape Town. I am about to start treatment and my regimen will consist of Truvada and Stocrin.

My concern is that I have had severe pancreatitus in 2000 and earlier this year again although less severe.

I see that Pancreatitus is listed as one of the less common side effects of Truvada.

Is it safe to take Truvada with my history?

My doctor is aware of my history and he still suggested this combination.

Assuming I have no resistance to any medications what will be the best option for me?

Thanks for your post fro RSA,

Pancreatitis is very rarely associated with Truvada or it's components, tenofovir and FTC. I'd think that it would be reasonable to use Truvada with efavirenz (Stocrin). Nonetheless, because of your medical history, close monitoring of your symptoms and lab tests would be prudent.

Without any transmitted resistance, this is a very highly regarded option for first-line treatment. Rather than getting into a long discourse about other options, please search this forum's category on first-line treatment-- you'll find many posts on the topic.

Best of health to you. BY

conflicting lab results?
Atripla or Truvada/sustiva