atripla vs viraday
Aug 25, 2007
I just tested positive and have a count of 206 and a load of 36,000. I was presribed atripla but found a genric called viraday. Due to the cost of atripla, I was wondering how you all felt about viraday. Pros and cons of each would be great!
Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your post.
Atripla is the branded triple coformulation of tenofovir/FTC/efavirenz. It is widely available in the US and becoming available across Europe. Viraday is a "generic" coformulation, manufacturered off-patent (I believe) in India.
While they are likely equivalent, Viraday would not be available in the US- because it is manufactured off patent.
So, if you live in the US where direct cost of HIV medications are rarely absorbed by the patient, Viraday isn't going to be much of an issue. If you live in India, this is an entirely different proposition.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Vaginal Discharge After Touching Penis Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps After Kissing Cut On Lip Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Getting Fingered Worried I Have HIV
- How Does Cervical Cancer Affect Your Reproductive System?
- How Long Does It Normally Take For Your Pap Smear Test Results Come Back?
- What Are The Effects Of Estrace Cream On A Pap Smear Or Hpv Screen?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.