Brain Damage

Do you think the brain damage (HIV Kills Brain Cells, Prevents Stem Cell Division) find in a study of University of California-San Diego and the Burnham Institute for Medical Research, published recently in The Body, is a reason enough to decide begin medication earlier (before CD4 are 350), not only to prevent dementia but any tiny damage to the brain. I'm (42 ) just diagnosticated, my viral load is 22.480, my CD4 are 403 and I have mild peripheral neuropathy. ¿Is impossible avoid complete de brain damage?, ¿there s any meds better than other to prevent totally the brain damage?.

Thanks very much

(Please, sorry my English) Matias Santiago Chile South America

Matias, gracias por su pregunta. Su engles es muy bien.

When to start medications is a very individualized decision. In your case, your CD4 count is already pretty close to our threshold (of starting) of 350 cells and (importantly) you have some HIV-related symptoms (namely, neuropathy).

While HIV medications might not yet be perfect in preventing all types of injury (including brain), they are clearly the best strategy for now. I don't find that the existing data about HIV medications strongly implicate the use of one drug or another, solely to prevent brain injury- especially given that there are so many other factors that influence the selection of medications.

Given the current opinion (mine included) to start medications earlier, now that we have better tolerated and safer medications, if I were in your situation, I'd probably start.

Buena salud, BY

Are my Meds correct
atripla vs viraday