The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Resistance test ?
Aug 24, 2007

Hello and thank you for this site. I'm a treatment naive patient, i've been hiv positive for nearly 6 years, my cd4 have been slowly declining from 900 to currently CD4 320 / VL 10 000, I guess it's time to start meds. My doc suggests reyataz/truvada/norvir or sustiva/truvada. I've no idea which is the best regime but I guess both are OK ? Anyway, I read It's standard to have a resistance test before starting treatment, I spoke with my doctor about it and he said it's not necessary, we can change the treatment if anything gets wrong, I insisted about having this test done and he got a bit upset about it. My question is : is it OK to start treatment without a resistance test ? I live in Germany and there is no problems of any kind with insurances. Should I look for a new doc ? Thanks, Eric

Response from Dr. Young

Guten tag and thanks for your post from Germany.

As I understand them, European (and British) HIV treatment guidelines recommend HIV resistance testing for all persons (just like our US guidelines).

Indeed, the roughly 10-15% transmitted drug resistance frequency is similar on both continents.

If I were your doctor (or you), I'd want to know if I was among the 1 in ~8 persons who acquire drug resistance before committing to a treatment regimen. In the absence of testing, given that non-nuke (ie., Sustiva) resistance tends to be more common, I'd avoid starting this way and utilize a boosted PI-based regimen.

Hope this helps, BY

Red Rash
Are my Meds correct

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint