Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THANKS RE: Gene focus of the new Tre enzyme
Aug 23, 2007

Thanks so much for doing a deep dive on my question about the Tre enzyme study.

You're clarification of the "target" of the Tre enzyme being LTR really starts to point my understanding in the right direction.

I was hoping you might be able to indulge me just a bit more...

When the HIV genome is converted from RNA into DNA and is then integrated into the Human cellular DNA, does that happen as a "single unit"? In other words, does the entire HIV genome [the full spectrum of individual genes (gag, pol, env, etc)] get integrated as a single unit into the Human cellular DNA, or does it happen on a "gene by gene" basis? Meaning, the gag gene gets integrated "here", the pol gene gets integrated "there", et al.

That's the part I'm not finding good info for, so I'm trying to understand if the Tre enzyme focuses on the full genome "start" LTR, and the full genome "end" LTR, or is it targeting the LTRs of one specific "gene" thus meaning that the proteins that gene encodes are not being created, meaning the building of new HIV Virons can't occur (because this protein, that is common to all mutations even, doesn't exist to build, let's say, the viral casing, etc.).

THANKS SO MUCH!

Response from Dr. Pierone

No problem, it was actually fun to try and decipher the scientific methods involved in this groundbreaking study. Here is the original post on the Tre enzyme study.

The Tre enzyme focuses on the full genome, not LTRs of single genes. This is based on a schematic figure from the manuscript which showed the LTRs flanking the entire genome. This is important because it allows the Tre enzyme to snip out the entire HIV genome from the cellular DNA.

Again, this is very basic research, but represents a significant breakthrough in the field of gene therapy for HIV. Stay tuned!

Previous
RIFAFOUR treatment of TB and Pregnancy sideeffects
Next
3 medicines vs 1

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.