new research, what does it mean to me?

I just came across this today: http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg19526174.400&feedId=online-news_rss20

I don't have dementia, but HIV effects on the brain are yet again gaining another dimension. What does it mean for me and is there anything I can do to counterbalance those effects? What can generally in healthy people help maintain/make more brain cells?

What scares me least of HIV is death! what scares me most is brain side effects!

The effects of HIV on the brain are a real concern. The good news is that there are a lot of folks with this infection and the vast majority are thinking just fine. Yet, some people do develop some problems - most typically mild symptoms that may be hard to even notice or discern from the changes that occur with normal aging.

I think the best approach to preventing adverse effects of HIV on the brain is to be on potent and effective HIV therapy. There are studies looking at several medications that may help people with cognitive problems. This is important research that we should support in any way we can.

Follow up - from July '06
lipodystrophy and sleep apnea