Is this combination ok???

hey, my name is Sandra and recently my Dr. gave Reyataz 200mg (2 pills a day ) and Truvada (1 pill a day) is this correct,please let me know cos I'm very worry to don't take the right medication,thanks

Hello Sandra and thank you for your post.

Your regimen is not correct-- the tenofovir part of Truvada significantly lowers atazanavir (Reyataz) levels. As such, this drug-drug interaction needs to be corrected by using 100 mg ritonavir (Norvir) with 300 mg atazanavir. This dosing of boosted 'taz with Truvada is recommened by the manufacturers of the medications, the US FDA and US treatment guidelines. There is no reason why you should have to accept lower atazanavir levels- something that could seriously jeopardize the effectiveness of an otherwise very effective first-line drug regimen.

Best of health to you. BY

Lipo
Follow up - from July '06