Why the antibiotic

I am a typical trio: Truvada, Norvir, and Reyataz. But my doctor also put me on a preventive antibiotic: Azithromycin (Zithromax). I take 2 600mg pills once a week. My doctor told me what this was for, but in all the quickness of it all, I have forgotten. Also, it says no antacids, but I take prilosec, is that different?

Thanks for your post.

Yes, your on a very common first-line treatment regimen. Atazanavir has a couple of dosing issues- one is that is must be taken with food, the other is a contraindication with certain antacids- especially the class of antacids called proton pump inhibitors (like Prilosec). I'd contact your doctor as soon as possible about this, but in the short term, stopping the Prilosec would ensure that your HIV medications are working optimally (and avoid the selection of drug resistant virus).

The azithromycin that your doctor has you on is probably to prevent Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) infection-- something that patients with very low CD4s are at risk for.

Hope this helps. Write back anytime. BY

meds
re starting treatment