Life expectancy after stopping ARV's

I have a client who has stopped taking ARV's after taking them for over 2 years. When he started Tx, his CD4 was 7 and VL was >750,000. He current numbers are CD4 301, and VL <50. This person no longer wants to take ARV's. We are wondering what is the ususal life expectancy would be for someone like this.

Thanks for your post.

I'm not much of a fan of treatment interruuptions, especially among persons who have very low CD4 count nadirs, like your client. This is because persons with low CD4 nadirs tend to have dramatic declines in CD4 after discontinuation-- placing them at significant risk of having AIDS complications.

It isn't uncommon to see CD4 counts drop about 100 cells in the first couple of months following stopping treatment- this would place your client back in the AIDS-200 cell range.

After that point, life expectancy is going to be guided by the rate of further decline and the kinds of complications that may arise.

I think that the key question is why your client has decided to stop medications and trying to address these concerns. In my opinion, with current medications options, all patients have a very real chance of getting on suppressive therapy that causes few side effects.

I hope this helps. BY

drug-related toxicity... How common is it?
cd4 count and treatment