Sustiva

I started medication in December 2006; Im taking Sustiva (efavirenz) with Truvada (tenofovir) one tablet of each once a day. Since December I have felt so bloody miserable and cannot seem to pull myself out of this pit for more than a week at a time. I have read that Sustiva can alter ones mood and cause Depression, I have also read that if you take Sustiva without food it can reduce the risks of Depression. This I have tried but to no avail. Could you tell me the risks of changing medication at this stage when they seem to have worked so well with my VL (undetectable) and CD4 Count (gone up to 400 from 250) but seem to be affecting my mental health?

Yours in desperation...

Sustiva is an excellent and very powerful HIV medication. It is convenient and has been found to be effective in teh vast majority of those who take it. But, it is not for everyone.

There are two dozen HIV medications approved for use in the US. There is no reason you have to suffer if you are experiencing a side effect from your HIV med.

You can absolutely safely switch to another HIV medication. I would keep the Truvada and change from Sustiva to one of the following popular Norvir-boosted protease inhibitors:

Kaletra

Reyataz+Norvir

Lexiva+Norvir

These medications do not cause any mood changes. If your depression persists, then it may not have been the Sustiva after all. In that case it will be important for you to get help to fight depression through medicationa and/or counseling.

Gene focus of the new Tre enzyme?
Advice on blood counts