Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is my best option for HIV med during pregnancy???
Aug 12, 2007

I am planning to try for a second child in August. During my first pregnancy (2002) i was put on Combivir/Nevirapine (CD4 327, VL 120,000). I tolerated the treatment well apart from pre-eclampsia towards the final weeks. After birth stopped medication.

I am back on meds Truvada/Stocrin. I know i'm to drop the Stocrin and my doc had opted for Viracept (which has been recalled). Can i safely go back to Nevirapine with the Truvada (despite my hight CD4)without any complications since i had used it before or what should i use with my Truvada? My current CD4 is 420, VL undetectable.I am planning on switching to Atripla after delivery.

I am running out of time here and don't know what my options are for a safe pregnancy.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, and thanks for posting.

Although there is an increased risk of liver toxicity associated with Viramune for women with CD4+ lymphocyte count above 250 your situation is different because you have tolerated it in the past. This does not guarantee that it will not cause problems, but the risk would be low. But if you and your doctor decide to go with a PI-based regimen then Reyataz or Kaletra could be used along with Truvada. Best of luck!

Previous
About To Start Medication. Your Opinion Please?
Next
non-HSV1, non-HSV2 herpes coinfections, valtrex, and hiv viral load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.