No Clue

Hello Doctor,

I found out that I am HIV = since Feb 2007 with T-cell count 363 and viral load 131,000. 3 weeks ago I have my latest test result with T-cell count 249 and viral load 75,000. The doctor told me that it is time for me to start my medications from this week onwards.

I have no clue why viral laod has dropped tremendously compared with my first test as I am still not taking any medications. Any clue

Dear No Clue,

Your two viral load tests are well within the normal day-to-day variation of the test (in your case, a less than 2-fold difference would not be considered significant).

With your CD4 count at ~250, I'd agree that it's probably time to start medications, if your willing and able.

If in doubt, I'd simply repeat the test to get an average of two.

Best of health to you. BY

Are the meds that effective?
Dutch HIV campaign to fight stigma