RE: Full blown AIDS @ diagnosis

Dr. Young, if appropriate may I jump in?

In 2005 I landed in the hospital - out of nowhere sick as a dog. Yup, AIDS - cd4 was 108, induced coma and respirator for 10 days.

2 years of proper care, meds (truvada/reyeataz/norvir) you would NEVER guess to look at me. cd4 now = 504, undetectble, 26%.

Honestly ( I feel guilty as I type this) I often forget I'm HIV+ or was ever sick. I take 3 pills once a day, see my Dr. 3 times a year, but THAT'S ALL!!! I live my life as I did before this hit. Not all people are as lucky, but it CAN happen!! Don't start worrying about things that MAY NOT be a problem for YOU.

This site is a gift from God. Stay informed, but don't start looking for problems in yourself unless and until there's a need. Deal with what IS only.

Just felt a need to share. Hang in there!!

Best wishes to you.....

Oh... and Dr. Young, you're still a HERO to me! Thank you again, and again, and again..... you get the idea! : )

Thanks for your post and kind comments.

I appreciate your sharing of your experiences with HIV and medications. It is a story that has become commonplace among our patients and one that should serve as an inspiration to many who face the uncertainties of a new AIDS diagnosis.

Best of health to you, BY

Average time to medication
Are the meds that effective?