Average time to medication

Doc, I was wondering the average time it took for a person just diagnosed with hiv to begin medications ? My t cell counts have actually gone up the past year on no meds from 706 to 918. I have had hiv for 3 years. Is it in the realm of possibility that I may not have to go on meds for another 7 or 8 years?

Thanks for your post.

The time it takes for a patient to reach thresholds to start treatment is highly individual; any prediction here should be taken as a forecast, rather than a real-time medical decision tool.

For the average patient, this time is in the range of 5 years or so, with typical loss of CD4 cells running between 50 -75 cells per year.

Note that the only way to know for sure is to have routine and repeated assessments of your symptom and laboratory health.

Hope this helps. Best of health to you. BY

Full blown aids at diagnosis
RE: Full blown AIDS @ diagnosis