Condom broke,can PEP be affective
Aug 2, 2007
Hello, I had sex about three weeks ago and the condom broke. I don't know about my partner status, whether she is positive or negative. But still its fearing me. Well, should I take PEP treatment in this case, if yes what should I do?
Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for the post.
PEP is only effective for about 72 hours after exposure. If your risky exposure was 3 weeks ago, you're long past the window of the effectiveness. Overall, the risk of transmission from female to male is low.
At this point, what you should do is get tested (and about 3 and +/-6 months).
Best of health, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Does HIV Cause Vaginal Discharge?
- Burning Penis After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Chills After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Rash After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- After Being Exposed To Hpv How Long Does It Take For Signs Of Cervical Cancer To Appear
- Can You Catch Hepatitis From Oral Sex?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.