new regimen

I recently suffered severe panic attacks during the months of March through May 2007...during this time I also began having minor paranoid schizophrenic thoughts...I had been taking Sustiva and Truvada for three years and due to those recent attacks and thoughts my doctor suggested stopping the Sustiva and Truvada..at that time I began taking low doses (2.5mg)of Zyprexa for the schizophrenic thoughts, which really seems to help both the thoughts and the panic attacks...I had been off my HIV meds for 2 months...I began a new regimen three days ago...a combination of Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. On the third day I had a minor panick attack at work...could this new medication be the cause? Should I continue with the Zyprexa? Also, how soon would I see any side effects from this new combo...such as jaundice? Thanks for the advice!

It is very likely that the Norvir is causing the levels of Zyprexa in your body to fall leaving you vulnerable to the panic attacks. Norvir usually blocks the ability of the liver to clear drugs from the body but in the case of Zyprexa it can lead to more rapid clearance of the drug from the blood.

You may need to have your Zyprexa dose increased to get the same levels of the medication you had prior to starting your latest HIV regimen.

Talk to your doctors ASAP and meanwhile keep taking the Norvir along with all the other HIV meds and your Zyprexa.

my cousin
tenofovir