The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP treatment

Jul 22, 2007

I recently was involved in recieving unprotected oral sex from someone I met online. So I decided to go to the doctors to recieve a PEP treament. I recieved TRUVADA. My question: Is this considered a high risk for HIV transmission, and is truvada suffient in my PEP treatment. I only ask of this because the doctor that I went to see was a Med Resident 2nd year, and was unsure about the questions I had asked during my apt with him. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Tenofovir and FTC (Truvada) is commonly used (though not formally approved) for post-exposure treatment. This has the added advantage of possibly preventing hepatitis B as well as HIV.

I think that the medical resident was probably working within the institutional treatment policy. Best of luck. Be safe out there. BY

adding an integrese inhibitor?
one drug or class?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint